My wife is bipolar. Her meds don't seem to be helping her anymore. She has no sex drive and shows no affection to me at all. I'm being as understanding as possible, but I feel like she's talking to other men behind my back. The lack of attention from her is driving me crazy. How should I handle this situation?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 7th, 2017
I went through the same thing with my fiance, she's bipolar with ptsd. She's on meds, that don't really work, but thanks to marijuana she has an appetite and sex drive,....Last year she began showing less affection towards me as her condition got worse. I got suspicious when she would get home a 20 minutes later than normal. So I checked her phone and she was talking to other men. Just talking, but when I finally confronted her, after allot of yelling and lying, she admitted why she was doing it, I took pictures of the messages because she refused to admit it till I showed her. She told me she wasn't feeling loved by me, she sometimes sees things differently then how it actually happens, she enjoyed the attention from other men, it was a self confidence booster because they didn't know she is bipolar/ptsd, and it made her feel like someone else who didn't have mental health issues.I gave her the ultimatum of stop talking to other guys or we're done, she's currently working on her mental health and regaining my trust, and things are getting better thanks to marijuana and a fast acting anxiety med. everyday we sit down for an hour and she tells me what's going through her head, I understand her, I've thought about talking to other women, just to have some one to talk to with our thinking if my next word will set get off lol. But I love her and she's trying.

If she didn't put effort towards getting better, or be open to trying every treatment, and didn't at least attempt to initiate sex, after I told her how I feel, I would have left.
. Before I made my decision to stay or leave, I asked her"if the tables were turned and I was bipolar and doing what your doing, would you be as patient and understanding as me?"
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2019
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i understand your concern.Bipolar disorder is a complicated disorder and it has so many phases. You should consult her psychiatrist and ask them to adjust the doses. Libido and sex drives are issues common in it. Dont think negative. Trust your partner. She might not be cheating. Let her psychiatrist help by intervening in dose adjustments and other measures as needed.

Take care
|
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Relationships , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.