Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

bipolar and borderline personality ?

I'm not sure because as I was researching they sounded similar to eachother and what I've been going through.
I have horrible mood swings that get extreme very fast, some end in attempted suicide. I have these "episodes" about 10-15 times a day of just ups and downs. i've been told I'm impulsive and sometimes manipulative. I've been having some relationship problems bc of these moods where I can be super attached and obsessive one second and the next I feel absolute hatred and loathing for them without really knowing why. also I see things and hear things. most commonly its the torture and/or murder of people. it's gotten to be where I'll be in class and almost break down crying, feeling the need to help these people reaching out to me. I think that's the basics. I'm not sure if it's bipolar or borderline personality or something totally different. let me know what you think and I'll answer any questions.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cherrydaiquiri
|

User Profile
replied December 9th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
There is a subtype of Rapid-cycling bipolar disorder (four or more affective episodes yearly) where mood oscillations are manifested as abrupt mood shifts of less than 24 hours duration, known like ultra-ultra rapid or ultradian cycling.
Acctually, the rapid-cyclers are completing a mood cycle in a matter of days--or, more rarely, in hours.
Severe episodes of mania or depression in bipolar patient, may include symptoms of psychosis (or psychotic symptoms), like hallucinations and delusions.
If your state oscillate dramatically between depression and euphoria, and you feel marked irritability, in one day, you are having a mixed episode of bipolar disorder.
Multiple mixed episodes in one day are characteristic of ultra-ultra or ultradian cycling.
People with mixed episodes are at great risk for suicide and exhibiting delusions and hallucinations.

Do you get usual shift from feeling upset to feeling "OK," or, from feeling bad to feeling a high or elevated mood?
Do the mood shifts occur out of the blue, or, are, always in reaction to something that have happened?
|

replied December 22nd, 2008
great!
great!
|

replied January 8th, 2009
usually it comes out of nowhere and my moods range between happy sad angry anxious and a weird mood I don't know how to explain, all of are VERY extreme. but I was recently diagnosed with hypomanic bipolar, anxiety, and ADHD
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2019
(online)
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These symptoms are consistent with borderline personality disorder because mood swings are fast and several times a day besides other features. You would need dialectical behavioural therapy sessions.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mental Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.