User Profile
10 days ago I had my bile ducts replaced with my small intestine and removal of my gall bladder. I am so depressed reading all these etters. Has this surgery ever been successful? I feel this surgery was a bad idea and my quality of my life is over. Please give me some hope.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2010
Bile Duct Disorders Answer A16482
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
Your concern is probably regarding the surgery for chronic pancreatitis i.e. Whipple's procedure.
There is acceptable alteration of lifestyle after the Whipple operation. Most patients are able to go back to their normal functional levels.Many studies show that there is no statistical difference looking at physical abilities, psychological issues, social issues, functional capabilities and disabilities when comparing Whipple with the other surgeries like laparoscopic gall bladder removal.
Some of the long-term consequences of the Whipple operation include the following:
1. Mal-absorption: The pancreas produces enzymes required for digestion of food. In some patients removal of part of the pancreas during the Whipple operation can lead to a diminished production of these enzymes. Patients complain of bulky diarrhea type of stool that is very oily. Long-term treatment with oral pancreatic enzyme supplementation usually provides relief from this problem.
2. Alteration in diet: After the Whipple operation it is generally recommended that the patients ingest smaller meals and snack between meals to allow better absorption of the food and to minimize symptoms of feeling of being bloated or getting too full.
3. Loss of weight: It is common for patients to lose up to 5 to 10% of their body weight compared to their weight prior to their illness. The weight loss usually stabilizes very rapidly and most patients after a small amount of initial weight loss are able to maintain their weight and do well.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bile Duct Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.