Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

bilateral polycystic ovarian disorder

Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
User Profile
i have a bilateral polycystic ovarian disorder. my obgyne put me on Primolut-N (twice a day)for 3 months along with Glyciphage (twice a day). i started taking it last month, from may 4-8. i had my period on the 12th until 16. my husband and i had sexual contact on may 31. then june 1-5, i took the same meds as prescribed. now i am waiting for my period but it hasn't come yet. is this normal? what am i supposed to expect? pls. help. thanks!

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied June 12th, 2012
Menstruation Answer A35915
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The medications prescribed to you include insulin modifier and hormonal contraceptive pill for correction of PCOS and regulation of period. PCOS usually responds to treatment with insulin modifiers as most common cause for PCOS is insulin resistance. Once the PCOS is under control, hormonal contraceptive can be stopped, and ovulation inducers can be started along with HCG trigger injections to help you have more than 1 egg getting matured to increase chances of pregnancy. If you are not successful in getting pregnant with 3-5 cycles of treatment, assisted reproductive techniques like IVF or ICSI could be helpful; in which, normal healthy sperms (from your partner) will be selected and washed to be fertilized with the egg, and then the embryos will be transferred to your womb. If you are trying for pregnancy, monitor cervical mucus changes and the BBT (basal body temperature) charting to predict your ovulation (along with the follicular study) and time your intercourse for having fruitful results. Have intercourse in positions that allow for deeper penetration for high deposit of semen. Have diet with foods rich in zinc content to ensure better maturation of egg and sperms. Take adequate rest. Drink plenty of water. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms or missed periods immediately.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ovulation and Ovaries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.