Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

bilateral hydronephrosis, next test would be...

User Profile
I recently had an ultrasound done of my kidneys which indicated bilateral hydronephrosis. This is the result of physical trauma I suffered when I was younger (I am 22 now). My GFR is currently 44. I have many concerns in regards to receiving treatment, or further tests, one of these being that I suffer from PTSD. At my recent dr's appt I found it difficult to attend (I was having a flashback). She wants to refer me, but I can't remember if it was to nephrology or urology? The next test would be a micturating cystogram but I have a lot of pain in the region and am not sure that I could cope with this. Would an anaesthetic be possible?

Is a urethral stricture an easy procedure to fix? Because if I needed an operation my family do not know that I am ill which is another reason I have been putting off treatment. If I decide I cannot go through with treatment what would my life expectancy roughly be? I know, not great.

Many thanks for any help.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2011
Kidney Conditions Answer A19547
Hello and thank you for posting your health query on E health Forum.

From the history provided, it seems that you have developed bilateral hydronephrosis due to a urethral stricture. Urethral anesthesia is usually provided prior to any procedure on the urethra.

Treatment of a urethral stricture is a necessary procedure in your case to prevent any further damage and progression of your condition. If not treated and ultimately results in severe kidney damage it may result in ESRD (end stage renal disease) with the need for dialysis at regular intervals or a renal transplantation.

The total life expectancy does not change much, but you will have to endure a lot of complications requiring hospital stays and considerable medical expenses.

You might seek consultation of a urologist for your current condition.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.