Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Bigeminy and low heart rate. Related to anxiety?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hi there, I am new to this forum and thought I would post a questions as it seems to have proven quite insightful for a number of things. Just a little background information on me, I am an 18 year old female, university student. I would say I am quite active, slim and 5ft8. No history of heart disorders within my family that I am aware of. I suffered my first panic attack back in august, and one month after suffered another but much worse. This one resulted in a trip to the A&E as I was sure I was having major heart problems. Anyway, my ECG came back fine and tests all fine so O was sent home. After this however I developed an unhealthy obsession with monitoring my heart rate, to make sure it was beating. Since then I have been plagued daily by anxiety and it never subsides. A few weeks after this I booked an appointment with my GP as I (given my constant checking of my heart rate) picked up on what I deemed an irregularity. I was given a 24 hour monitor and the results showed that occasionally (normally at night in bed or when sitting I was getting a short run of bigeminy. It also showed that when sleeping, at it's lowest rate by heart reached 37BPM. Of course, this freaked me out, my doctor said it's nothing to be worried about, but as a natural worrier and over thinker I cannot get over it. I have had an echocardiogram done and have an appointment with my GP on the 4th of January

I was wondering if anybody has experienced something similar. If this can be related greatly to anxiety and panic disorder. I find it funny that I never had any of this before my first panic attack and that it has all came about after.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper farmer1946
|

replied September 18th, 2012
I also get bigeminy and I used to always check my pulse rate, etc. I hate having bigeminy. I'm only 26 years ikd and it sucks to be this young and be afraid to do anything or go anywhere because of my heart.
|

I also get bigeminy and I used to always check my pulse rate, etc. I hate having bigeminy. I'm only 26 years old and it sucks to be this young and be afraid to do anything or go anywhere because of my heart.
|

It is really horrible. How long have you had Bigeminy for, that you've been aware of at least? It's nearly been a year now and I am still plagued by it. So frustrating.
|

replied October 16th, 2012
bigenminy spells
I have been having begeminy "spells" all summer. 5 ER visits, 1 hospitalization and they can't find anything wrong with my heart. I believe low thyroid got this going and I am now taking my meds but the spells continue but they are not as bad as the first few were. When I have a spell my blood pressure shoots up over 200 and I shake and get in an awful way. I too am afraid to go out for fear of having problems in public. some have suggested that stress may be leading to this also because I am caring for my 91 year old mother and it isn't always easy. I do feel stressed for that and she has been here about 9 months. what really is surprising to me is the weakness that I feel even after the begeminy. It takes me hours and sometimes days to regain my strengh. My legs feel lke jello. I have been to the doctor even when I felt like that and they found nothing. all blood work is good. I have not regained my strengh all summer. I am in my 60's and I am an RN. I am very active and we have a farm and I usually have lots of energy. This all started July 1. any ideas?
|

replied October 16th, 2012
also I would like to add that after reading that many people get palpations after eating.I would say that maybe soy is the problem. soy causes palpations. we get soy in everything we eat. my thyroid got low when I ate soy nuts and drank soy milk and it didn't take long. things like protein bars. I ate 4 one day and that night my heart went crazy. look it up also many meds like lexapro causes them. read the side effects. you can ckeck out my web site at creasyhillspringsfarm.com and see information on soy on the last page. thanks the farmer1946
|

replied October 20th, 2012
I am in my early 60's, and I get occasional and frequent palps. I went to the ER, and they found low potassium and dehydration on one occasion. Nothing, however, affected the ekg. They gave me a drink of liquid potassium, and told me to eat bananas and drink lots of water and Gatorade. The sensations ceased. I am having the "skipped heartbeats" again. I feel a constant rumbling sensation under my left ribcage that sometimes shifts to my left chest or back area, and sometimes slightly to the right of my chest. It just feels like moving gas bubbles, then occasional skipped beats. My doctor ordered a blood test for hypokalemia, but that came back normal this time. She thinks it could be related to the GERD, but also thinks it could be caused by the extreme stress that has plagued my life these past two years. I have eaten soy with no adverse affects. I have a problem with dairy and tomato products. I also get gassy if I eat legumes. The gas often causes a similar sensation to the one I am presently having. Some people have soy alergies. It is very possible that soy is the culprit in many instances. I am currently taking xanax, diovan, and just beginning omeprazole. I have also scheduled a visit to a psychiatrist to help me sort my issues. Hopefully this problem will bet relosved soon. I hope the same for everyone in this forum. Take care.
|