Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

Bi Polar girlfriend - depressed state and withdrawing from r/s

My ex BPGF of 2 months recently went through a period of distancing and depression, during the time she was with me it was like a totally different person - she was kind, loving and generally really attached to me saying she has never felt so happy and complimenting me every day and saying she loves me. It was strange because I never had the so called (look of love) and true affection and knew she genuinely meant every word. All of the sudden I have watched her and her emotions to me crumble in the space of 2 weeks. I said I would stick around for her and give her space if she wanted me to but asked me to basically "move on" and that she didn't want a "relationship" and how we "jumped in to quick" with each other. Which I found odd because she was so loving only a week or 2 previous. I have a sneaking suspicion I may of met her on a "manic" episode and now she is in a depressed and confused state or maybe the reverse I unsure guess that's why I'm here Tongue. She admitted to me she was diagnosed bi Polar as a teenager and has a history of self harm, but that all stopped when she was with me, I kept her and guided her away from alcohol and drug abuse and spoiled her rotten and literally the scars started to heal, she could wear short sleeved tops and promised me that I had shown her never to do it again. She was always so appreciative which makes this so hard to come to terms with this sudden change of heart. (she is now 19) and un-medicated as she said the tablets she used to be on made her worse and not herself. I am confused and blindsided by the sudden change of heart and abandonment of our relationship. She always talked about the future and kids and so forth which I felt strange as we had only been together a month and now she doesn't want a relationship or to "drag me down with her" and wants to be just friends. This is totally irrational to me in my experiences with her. Is it possible once the crash from mania is over that the feelings will come back? As I says its so out of character for her and she is pushing away. I went a bit mad when she told me to move on and have established no contact for about 5 days now and only have an open line of communication through phone - Social media and everything else I have blocked (She messaged me half way through this episode accusing me of perhaps talking to some one else she text "what U DOIN?" only to apologise at midnight when I was in bed through text saying she just went a bit "crazy"Wink - So thought maybe to cut off contact and things through social media and also stop myself from checking up on her and getting obsessive I guess I just deal with things that way. Its a shame because I truly tried to explain I would rather help her through her issues then Ive been pushed away. She is showing signs of BPD also as her father was the "first person to hurt her" but I didn't press to much on this guess she would tell me in her own time. I think it may have been abandonment rather than sexual abuse but I cannot be sure as she HATES her dad. Thank you everyone, Its starting to take a toll on me but like I says I feel totally selfless deep down that I want to be there and love her because someone has never made me feel as she has. Its such a shame its come to this. Id often send her little graphs of her moods so she could monitor it and see where she was on the mood scale but she never really responded to it. I cant do much more. Just waiting for a message or text, then I can get her to treatment but until then it hurts I tell you. I know people cant predict the future nor am I asking them too. All I ask if anyone can give me a bit of insight into the condition and what may have caused this if it was and/or anyone has the same issues and experiences. Thank you =)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Her symptoms are consistent with bipolar disorder. It seems that she has borderline personality trait and psychosocial stressors have made it worse. She would need full mental state examination to clarify her condition.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Relationships , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.