i am happily married to a wonderful man and he is diabetic and has recently been diagnosed with bi polar disorder his family is always in our business his mom says that i made it up and that her son doesn't have that .i have a 1yr old son and my mom is telling me that i am putting my son in danger by living with my husband but i know that my husband would never do any thing to hurt my child. lately he has been so moody and we have been fighting alot and sometimes he doesn't like me telling him anything about his diabetes and all i care about is his health and how can i make him understand that i don't care what anyone says all i care about is his health and our son
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 9th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Has your husband started taking meds for his mood disorder? He may not be stable yet. That would explain his mood swings and the fighting. You need to arm yourself with knowledge. There is a huge amount of information out there. Get some good books about bipolar disorder. Get to know the signs and symptoms of depression and mania. Google search "mood chart". You will get several hits for this. Look at them and find one you and your husband can do easily. This will help him track his moods and his progress with medications. The doctor can clearly see how he is responding to medication by looking at the mood charts. This can be very beneficial.

Once you have become more knowledgeable about the disorder you can have a discussion with your mom and help her understand the disorder better. Unfortuntely, the media and Hollywood have portrayed people that have bipolar disorder as homicidal maniacs. This is not an accurate portrayal of the disorder or those that are afflicted with it. Many people have no other point of reference other than what they see and "learn" from TV and the hyped, high profile and rare cases that result in someone with bipolar disorder becoming violent. Only knowledge can change that.

All you can do is support your husband. You do that. Becoming more educated will help you understand him and his disorder.
|

replied June 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Be very careful when taking Bipolar medications when you are diabitic. Make sure you follow your doc's orders to the "T". They are great and do work wonders.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....