Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

best to stop the medication after puberty or before?

User Profile
History: My son (ow 10y) had a seizure episode when he was 4,5 years old. It started by vomiting and shaking of arm and legs with eyes rolled back. After hospital visit we started Keppra for 2 years then stopped. After about 9 months without Keppra he had a mild seizure again (lips numb, little lip and neck twitching could not talk, was conscious, could answer question with head nod). Started Keppra again. Now on Keppra for 2,5 years. All EEG, MRI are normal. Questions: 1. Will he grow out of such seizures? 2. Should we gradually stop the medication and try again now that he is 10 years old and seizure free. 3. Is it best to stop the medication after puberty or before? 4. If we stop, we are worried of what is the worst that can happen if he has a seizure and we don't see him??, can it be life threatening? Its hard to oversee him 24/7 at this age. 5. If we continue with Keppra are there any long term effect of taking this medicine?

Thank you for you help in advance.
Jim

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2016
Epilepsy Answer A58196
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. With history of seizure, two years of compliant use of medication is mandatory and after that slow tapering and discontinuation is tried for 6 months and if the issue persists then lifelong antiepileptics will be considered.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Epilepsy, Puberty
Quick Reply
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.