Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

Best path forward with a 3.2 cm ovarian cyst and pain in the are

User Profile
In August, we found a 3.2 cm cyst on an ovary. In mid-October we'll look again to see if it's there, has grown, or has shrunk.
Meanwhile, I've spent my entire deductible in 2018 on trying to find out why I have this lower abdominal pain. My appendix was removed 25 years ago otherwise I'd suspect the appendix as the cause. The only other thing in that area is the right ovary. Right?

Today, I asked my doc if we could run this test called CA125 and she declined, doesn't want to do it.

I'm 34 years old with low right abdominal pain persistent for months, my periods have changed recently, and I've lost 30 pounds this year without trying. I'm surprised she doesn't want to run the test. I’d like your opinion on what is the best path forward. Do I need that test or is there no reason to do it?

2018 test history:
colonoscopy January

URINALYSIS(UA), US transvaginal, APTT(PTT), PROTIME-INR(PT), CBC WITH AUTO DIFF (CBCD), CT ABDOMEN AND PELVIS W CONT
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2018
Hello.
Welcome to this forum.
Really a 3.2 cm cyst never needs a CA 125 estimation. That is not recommended. But I am not telling you that there is no treatment necessary. If the CT scan reveals a solid cyst, it could be a dermoid cyst and needs removal. But if the cyst contains clear fluid, that is a benign cyst and not a cause of your pain. It can be due to asymptomatic urine infection, urinary stone, amoebiosis or other gut infection, pelvic infection or even muscle spasm: the list goes on.
Hope I can address your query. Please visit your doctor if there is any further confusion as without a clinical examination it is not possible to opine through an online medical forum.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ovulation and Ovaries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.