I've been to quite a few different doctors and they all seem to try and measure your risks by using different cholesterol numbers. Some look at total, LDL, HDL etc while others use different variations of ratios LDL/HDL, Total/HDL, etc.

I was just curious as to what the best predictor is for heart disease risks. And for whichever way is the best to measure risks, what should those numbers be?

The reason i asks is I've had 7 lipid profiles done since 2008 and my average numbers are as follows:

Total-246
Tri-110
HDL-59
LDL-164
VLDL-20
C-reactive-1.14

Two different doctors have tried to put me on statins and I refused until just recently. I've been on pravachol 20mg for a few months and it actually made my triglycerides triple from 60 to 180 so they didn't seem to help all that much. They did lower my LDL by 30 points or so but my total numbers didn't go down much b/c of the triglycerides rising.

Just some background info, I'm a 29 year old male, no health issues, highly active, eat healthy for the most part, and am in pretty good fitness shape. Some elevated cholesterol does run in my family but I don't think my numbers are that high that I should already be takings statin drugs. I feel like most dr's are just so quick to prescribe statin drugs to make a buck for the drug compaines. There has to be other ways.

I'm considering getting a berkely test done to see what the particle sizes are of my LDL to see if that is a concern. If my LDL particles are mainly large in size I may stay away from the statins as long as possible. They give me muscle aches from time to time and I can't tolerate that since I workout all the time and do triathlons, etc. I've tried dieting of all sorts to try and lower my numbers but they pretty much stay around my averages regardless of what I eat or don't eat.

Anyone's advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 21st, 2013
Experienced User
Have you ever considered looking inside your arteries to even see if you have vascular disease?

Cholesterol is absolutely the worst predictor of heart attacks, strokes and heart disease. You would do better predicting your risk by the color of your shirt.

The fundamental reason you are receiving differing medical opinions is we still do not understand the mechanism behind atherosclerosis. All we have are theories and risk factors. Different physicians subscribe to different theories.

Therefore, when we take a statin we are tossing a pill at a theory.

The Berkeley test falls under a theory. The particle size theory. You just have to decide which theory you think makes most sense, then place your money on that theory.

I say look to see if you even have heart disease in the first place. Then go from there. Nothing is more mindless than treating a person for a disease they don't have, just because of a cholesterol number.
|

User Profile
replied December 11th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Your LDL is high. You need to modify diet lifestyle, lose weight, eat healthy,reduce caloric intake, reduce fats and dairy and exercise more and see if it helps.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|

replied June 21st, 2018
Experienced User
Measurement of your cholesterol levels will provide you and your doctor with the necessary data to assess your risk for cardiovascular disease and to prevent, as far as possible, a cardiovascular event such as a heart attack or stroke.
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2018
If one is well sure about his/her cholesterol level and if it is above the recommended levels it could be risky. Generally few cholesterol lowering medications can have serious side effects. It is better to incorporate safer method of controlling cholesterol.
Dr. Janet who is a nationally (USA) recognized expert in the field of health, wellness and cardiovascular disease prevention could be of great help for cholesterol sufferers.
|
Must Read
Do you know the difference between good and bad cholesterol? When does cholesterol pose a threat to your health? More info here....
High levels of bad cholesterol in the blood can increase your risk of heart disease. So how do you know if you're experiencing high cholesterol, or not? ...
Who should request cholesterol testing? And how often? Learn how to check your cholesterol levels and what the optimum cholesterol levels are....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cholesterol , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.