Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

best friend can't control herself anymore

User Profile
my best friend told me a few weeks ago that she is bulimic. I'm the first and only one who knows about this and I don't know what to do or how to act. She told me that it is getting serious. She is purging a few times every day and she looks really skinny. Not that typ of skinny that you would think she has anorexia but still really thin. She is scared to tell her mother because she dosen't want to disappoint her and I don't know if I should, should I?. She told me that she can't control herself anymore and that she can't stop although she wants to. She began 6 months ago. She don't wanna talk about it with anyone. I told her that I'll be there for her but what can I do except for telling her that she is beautiful the way she is and that I love her?
I hope you can help me! And thank you for your time

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2016
Eating Disorders Answer A59707
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. She needs psychiatrists help, few psychotherapy sessions or she will hurt her pretty bad. Please get her parents in loop and let them help.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Eating Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.