I'm looking for ideas on what the best aerobic/athletic shoes are for very arthritic knees. I've read that extra cushioning is best, and I've read that flat shoes are best so am totally confused. I'd love some ideas
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 6th, 2009
Supporter
Hello--i recently bought a pair of Skeechers exercise shoes..It has a thick sole so it feels like you are stepping on to a wonderful coushin..The shoes aren't pretty and I do't think really ugly but some do..It is the help I get from them that is great..As I walk I can also exercise the legs really well..You can step on rocks without pain..
(I have nodules ont he bottom of my feet from RA and most shoes relaly hurt my feet..These do not)..I hope you are able to find some shoes to help you as well..k
|

replied December 6th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I wear Cat Machine Tool steel toe boots when I work out. It's funny to admit but they really are increadibly comfortable and I need the ankle support to be athletic. Not for everyone obviously. I see a lot of people involved in jogging wearing Asics. I can't imagine a more high impact excercise. Speaks well for that brand's cushioning. If you really want to know the best shoe for your feet you should ask a Podiatrist.
|

replied February 15th, 2010
Experienced User
Sounds very good to me. I`ve been an arthritc in my past, though now in total remission, and the only shoes I could both wear and walk in were in the Ecco range. All other foot wear was frown away. I know how important it is to insure ankle (and therefore
knee) alignments with corrective inserts.
|

replied February 16th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
I hear good things about the Ecco brand, not cheap though.
|

replied February 20th, 2010
Experienced User
Ostio Arthritis Over Use - Ankles.
With arthritis of knee, hips, or ankles you must have ankle support to increase stability, in order to even walk (most of the time in summer I could only walk at all with ice in my socks) Ecco provided both stability and support, and at the same time without pressure points - even some socks were crippling me with flare-ups. There was no other shoe anywhere near it. It was discovered by chance after wasting thousands of pounds, and it ment I could walk. Our NHS (UK) has nothing. Doctors here still tell their young patients, instead of encouraging them, that it`s impossible to ever fully recover.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....