Hello whomever is reading this. I have been having some difficulty in my life, if you could contribute your thoughts I would really appreciate it.

I would like to preface this with the facts that I am a 29 year old Male, I am an avid weightlifter, I have no allergin to medicines, I have minor hypothyroidism, I am a classical pianist, I was raised on organic food and now only eat potent vegetables, organic fruit, and lean poultry; and my mother had Still's Disease for about a year until it magically went away.

In late August of 2016 I had an extremely mild episode of Bell's Palsey; I didn't have to tape my eyelid shut, doctors had to look 3 times at the ER to try to confirm. Ultimately my who left side of my body was effected by this paralysis and weakness, but at the time it was difficult to tell because I had been lifting weights consistently for 5 years, and I was so strong that the peripheral nerves that were effected were easily compensated for by my major muscle groups. I had a clean MRI taken at the ER. ER gave me steroids and antivirals.

I stopped lifting for 6 months, and when I began again my left side had badly atrophied. I rehabilitated, but this whole time and to the present I have had chronic flu-like fatigue, muscle weakness, subtle tremors of the left hand when holding a book, my pinky, ring, and middle finger are slower and weaker than they used to be at the piano, my left leg coordination and balance is poor on the outside of my leg (I can't play soccer confidently anymore), I have night sweats, the chills, subtly shuffling gate, and at times of stress and exertion I had subtle difficulty forming "B" and "P" syllables. I quit my job and moved in with my parents in order to rest; many of my symptoms normalized, the tremoring and the syllable issues, but I still have chronic fatigue and fluctuating coordination. My belle's pasly facial paralysis almost completely normalized, only I have some trouble flaring my left nostril now.

Around a few months after my left side developed ailment, my right eye began exhibiting symptoms. It is still subtly of sync with my left eye when I blink, I have fluctuating vision blurring, and white lights appear yellow in low lighting. All three of these symptoms fluctuate in unison, and I have no idea if they are related to my left side. Once in awhile I am absolutely fine in regards to everything; it could be a week good, a week bad, every other day, a month bad, etc.

Sleep, nutritional intake, exertion, and stress greatly effect my symptoms, as they fluctuate day to day. I found a garlic tincture with highly potent Allicin, after being on the couch for a month feeling like absolute butt, I took garlic and felt 50 percent better (before I found this tincture I needed 10-12 hours of sleep to function normally). Potent rosemary has helped as well, also my symptoms respond to Prednisone; I'm basically asymptomatic on the steroids until I come off of them. Alcohol and cigars greatly accentuate my symptoms, it takes days to recover, but marijuana has no negative effect. After I weight lift I can be asymptomatic for a couple of hours, I can literally feel the electricity flooding my left side; my lips and nerves even tingle sometimes, I can have twitching after as well. I can tell you that if I wasn't lifting 4 times a week I would be terribly atrophied on my whole left side. My progress is slow but decently steady. I find it difficult to grow muscle tissue when I feel awful.

My GP said MS, so I got scared.

I recently saw a neurologist, he wants to run all of his tests. He ruled out MS and Myesthenia Gravis, he couldn't find anything wrong with me; but he said that my symptoms sound legitament. He said that "small fiber neuropathy" is at the top of his list of diagnosis. I can't say that I agree. I have no numbness, no tingling, no burning or pain, it is all weakness. He also said possbilities of gluten allergin (which I barely eat), and hypothyroidism causing issues (I'm very well regulated on 88mg synthroid). He looked at my right eye when I told him about them being out of synch, blurring vison, and yellow light; he said no Cataract.

I saw a Naturopath, he gave me "Bella Donna," it did some wonders at first. I was asymptomatic for about 4 days with a very high dose. I had violent twitching on my unilateral weak nerves. It didn't go anywhere after that.

Neurological Chiropractor says use laser treatment potentially on damaged nerves. I could have a virus still active in the brain. The Western Neurologist said that there is no way that the virus is still active, and that my nerves may be permanently damaged from the initial viral infection.

Infectious disease researcher said that he thinks the viral infection could have triggered an autoimmune response; and that my eyes are out of synch because the brain is still trying to get them back in synch from the Bell's Palsy, although it has been near a year and a half now, I find it hard to believe.

Bottom line is I can't believe that nobody has a proper clue when I know it responds to garlic, rosemary, and predisone instantly. The neurologist (mind you he is one of the best in Virginia), told me that we don't know why garlic helps, but sometimes it does. I know that it kills herpes symplex 1 on the petri dish. I take garlic and I am 50 percent better in seconds to minutes, and all of my unilateral affected nerves tingle. Garlic is an ancient anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antibacterial. I don't understand why they can't isolate which one of these things it is doing and give me some real drugs that do the job better. My gut really says viral infection, second being autoimmune.

If anyone has any clue, thank you so much for reading this, I just want to get well so that I can function in society and play my instrument properly again.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
It seemed to small fiber neuropathy. I would suggest you start multivitamins,continue excercise and yoga to settle the issue.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.