Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

Being in a relationship with a bipolar bf who is on the meds

I am in a relationship with a BP sufferer, medicated, and have been with him for one year. He is now working, looking to live by himself in time, medicated like i say. I have witnessed impulses, detachment and a low due to a bereavement. He has a tendency to be random about money and can have emotional shutdowns if he feels he has been rejected or told no for any reason. Failing these things he is a lovely guy. I need to look at living with him or entering into a relationship with him for the long haul or end it now. i have two young children and i am divorced. Iv told him we need to look at what our relationship will look like, the care i will need to provide tohim as well as parenting and how it will impact my life long term. He takes his medication religiously and feels that what iv experienced within the year will never worsen. he said it wont worsen it will get better. what u hv witnessed in this year is the worst it will be for you.

can u shed any light on whether he is right.. there are no guarantees, but on the correct meds. is this year the worse bhaviour i will have to endure. he confirmed that off meds he would be horrendous. but on meds he will be able tocope with family life with a mixture of good diet and sleep he would be fine and some of tghe episodes inurred tis year would be the worst i would hv to deal with all the time he stays on his meds.

can u let me know how true that is x many thanks

bev
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 16th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Living with a bipolar personality is a challenge, however love and dedication can save two lives not just one. You have to weigh all pros and cons.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: parenting, Diet
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Relationships , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.