Hello to all that read this,

I was diagnosed with BI-polar when i was 18 years old. I went to my fair share of hospitals, rehabs and anything else you can think of. I was given lithium, zyprexa, cilexa, the works. all a bunch of garbage, bc with them, i couldnt function right. And without them, apparently i could not function right either (so the doctors told me). So i decided to stop them entirely 4 years ago, saved alot of money (pills are not cheap) and took a chance. Fast forward.....I am now 29 years old, and i am finding that withOUT the medicine that was perscribed to me, i am doing just fine. I have a regular relationship, i function well at work or socially. I have stopped taking my meds bc i felt i was stronger than that. And guess what, it is just a mind over matter kind of thing. I have never felt better in my life then before when i was taking those stupid pills..stay strong and focused, you will be amazed of how much you accomplish. Only you know your mind the best so do what you gotta do, and dont take B/S from nobody!!! Be yourself. thumbsup respect
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2010
Can you please help me romanista. I feel my antidepressents is making me worse. They dont want me to go off of them. But I am last day tomorrow. I weaned off of them good, so I wont have any withdrawals plus I hope that Im pregnant again, I really hope so. I haeve a posted topic out that no one answered yet. Upset about that to. I am very lonely and dont really have ANY true friends and not in a relationship. I am 37 now and had bipolar since age 12. I hate my medicine. I am gonna request u as a friend. Please accept.
|

replied July 4th, 2010
Supporter
Hi Ejoy, thankyou for your message. I was diagnosed with Bi-polar disorder 5 years ago. I am a skeptic, so of course I personally got 3 opinions. This was after several sessions with each of the psychiatrists. It was really hard to digest but prior to getting diagnosed I learned that my daughter had cancer. The stress was overwhelming and sometimes our minds can only take so much. The doctors, all of them told me the extreme stress is what triggered the disorder. I am not like romanista, I need my medications, however I had to try many before I was on the right ones. I could not take anti-depressents, some made me feel like a
Zombie, agitated, confused, and sadder. I refuse to take any type of anti-depressents because they were doing more harm thatn good. Now I take a mood stablizer, it feels like I am taking a placebo, but I no longer drink ecessively, lost my addiction to gambling, I dont have horrible mood swings and I am so happy to have these under control. I have a hard time falling asleep so I take a sedative at night. I also have restless leg syndrome so the sedative also works well for that, something neurologists prescribe to their patients for restless leg syndrome. Sometimes I still have anxiety attacks and have meds for that. I only use them when I feel a panic attack coming on.

Romanista, it sounds like you may have never had bipolar disorder. They may have misdiagnosed you. How many different psychiatrists did you see. I am not talking about the ones that work together in a mental health facility, I am talking about Doctors you chose on your own. I believe in being proactive with our health, physical and mental. I always get 3 opinions before I have had surgeries. When I was 28 I was told I needed a hysterectomy, I was having horrible periods lasting 21 days. I knew in my heart that the diagnoses was probably true, but I wanted to make sure if their were options. In the end I had my hsyterectomy and it was the best thing I ever did. I was back to the energetic, vibrant, and healthy person I was 5 years prior. I am very happy you are able to live your life without any medications, but for some of us that truely have bi-polar disorder that is not an option. Prior to finding out I could stay up for 4 days at a time. I would cry at the silliest things, and argue for the sake of arguing. I knew I was not okay, this new person was not me so I chose to get help. I am so glad I did.

Cindy
|

replied July 5th, 2010
wow.. good info.. and you sound like a real positive case.. so to speak.. i do not believe someone just 'gets' bipolar,, it does not work like that. it is just how a person is wired.. no circumstances perpetuate it.. you either have it or not. sometimes it is hereditary. yes.. it really sucks.. but once you accept it and get on with it the better.. my onset came later in life.. after many years of crap.. trouble,, bad relationships.. jail.. you name it. but i finally got diagnosed during an assessment after a dui.. i was using alcohol to try to smooth over my symptoms of being bipolar.. the ups.. the downs.. it was chaos. then i saw a counselor about it.. got on meds.. then i felt like a zombie walking.. stopped taking meds.. now i am just trying to get by day to day.. i am on this forum for one reason. to help myself and hopefully help others.. what about you?
|

replied July 5th, 2010
Supporter
Hi Shara,

I am also on this forum to help others. I believe that people need to share different veiwpoints, none of us our wrong. I never had a traffic violation in 27 years. My first one was a DUI. I always the designated driver but this particullar night when my husband an I went to bowl on our league, I asked him if he could refrain from drinking until we got home so I could have a few drinks. during the time we were bowling my husband and our best friend Steve were going to the bar and doing shots of whisky. By this time I had 4 drinks. It was 4 hours, and I finally told him meet me in the car its time to go. so I waited about 15 minutes it was winter, really cold and snowy outside. Since the lights did not turn on on the dashboard I had no idea i did not turn on my headlights. Thats why i got pulled over. I blew a .10 only 2 points over the limit, but it really devastated me. The cops were abusive. My husband Had fallen in the parking lot and smashed his face in. The cops kept telling me why did you beat up your husband. Blood was pouring down his face his nose was bleedin profusly, so they blamed his injuries on me. The called an ambulance cause he couldnt even talk he was so drunk, turns out his blood alchol level was 3.7. The doctors at the hospital could not even believe he was talking. A few weeks prior to that I found out my daughter had cancer. The stress was overwhelming. My life before was normal, we were a happy well-adjusted family. I knew my behavior was not normal so I wanted to get help. I had to be strong and their for my daughter. After trying several meds I found ones that really help and I have been fine ever since. I do believe that stress can trigger mental illness, it can alter the way you think, and change your brain chemistry. I dont know if that is true, I just knew I never felt such turmoil, mood swings, lack of control. it was terrible. for some of us we need meds to function. When I take mine its like taking a placebo, I do not have any side effects and the sleep meds help me get rest. something I couldnt do, I would stay awake 3 to 4 days at a time. the rest of the time I was lucky if I got a 3 hours of sleep. When you are sleep deprived you can have so many physical and mental problems. I feel blessed that I can live a normal life again.

cindy
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...