Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Basal joint arthritis, needlework and yoga.

I have developed arthritis at the base of both thumbs, and it seems to be worsening rapidly. I've had my first visit with a rheumatologist and then with a hand therapist. The doc so far recommends hand wraps and maybe some diet changes. the therapist immediately went to suggest cma arthroplasty. My work requires a lot of computer time,and in my leisure time I am - or I have been until these past weeks- an avid sewer, quilter, knitter, stitcher and gardener. At this point, I am able to continue these activities at 30 minute stretches with hand supports. Then I take a break. I also love yoga which is becoming much harder due to strain on wrists. Not sure how long I can continue it So my question is- how do I decide when or if I should get the surgery? Reading the forum, it seems like recovery time can take many months or even more than a year? During which I would be able to do none of the things I love to do. But right now I am in chronic low level pain and limited in my abulity to do them anyway- have any needleworkers or yoginis out there had the surgery? Was it worth it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2014
Welcome to e health forum.

With your work requirement needing extreme good use of your hands, it is possible that due to progressive worsening of the arthritic changes conservative measures may not be effective at later stages.

Surgery (Carpometacarpal arthroplasty) would be recommended by your doctor when you develop persistent pain, decreased function, instability, and failure of conservative management. In early stages, surgical measures have been shown to provide good symptomatic relief while also hindering further degenerative changes.

Hence you may consult your treating doctors who can advice you accordingly about further treatment measures.

|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2014
Chris,
There is another forum which is quite informative from people who have had this surgery on this sight (Ithink Basal joint surgery and recovery). If you read though some of the comments, you will get a good idea about how this surgery goes (it's a significant one but apparently will solve the arthritis issue...eventually). I am 4 month post and holding onto the hope that it will work for me too. My situation sounds similar to yours. Read up...Regards, GardenKnome
|
Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Arthritis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.