Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Baking soda treatment for gout

Can a diabetic (under control now with medication) take the baking soda treatment for gout treatment? My husband has been having recurring gout attacks, every time the doctor is prescribing celebrex/allupurinol etc. I am tired of these medications. I read the baking soda treatment with great interest.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2009
Your husband could try this approach. However, there is a risk if too much baking soda is taken of altering blood chemistry levels in the body which could lead to harm. There are reports of baking soda ingestion leading to high levels of sodium, high blood pressure, and changes in blood potassium levels. I suggest having him talk to his doctor about the approach. His doctor may be agreeable to monitor his blood levels to prevent negative effects if he decides to try this approach.

|

replied July 3rd, 2012
Ever since i had to start taking blood thinners my gout has came back more often. Its frustrating, I keep myself on a strict diet plan to prevent flare ups from coming up very often....now it happens a lot. Is there anything with blood thinners that has side affects that may make my gout flare up?
|
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.