Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

bad breath for more than 3 yrs!

User Profile
Hello Doctor,
Im experiencing bad breath for more than 3 yrs. I have undergone some treatment but its useless. I could not sit nearby anyone and talk. Im scared to talk to anyone. pls let me know to which doc I can go? I reside in chennai

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2013
Dental Health Answer A41955
Welcome to e health forum.

Bad breath or Halitosis, can be caused by many conditions including regular tooth problems, tongue bacteria, poor tongue cleaning, tonsiloliths, gum disease, gastro esophageal reflux disorder, etc. ENT conditions like tonsillitis, sinusitis, throat infections can also be cause for such bad breath.

Bad breath originating from the mouth accounts for about 90% of all halitosis problems. The back of the tongue is hard to clean and for this reason it creates the perfect environment for bacteria. These anaerobic bacteria thrive on the epithelial cells, drips from the nasal cavity and food remains to produce foul smells from sulfur compounds.

In general, you can eliminate bad breath problems effectively by maintaining high oral hygiene standards. Using a fluoride based tooth paste at least twice a day, especially after meals, proper dental flossing, using a tongue scrapper and keeping the oral cavity moist by drinking adequate fluids or using a sugar free gum can help stimulate salivary secretion.

Eating healthy foods with a rough texture help to scrape the tongue and these are best taken during breakfast. The movement in the mouth also sets in motion a cleansing process for the gums and teeth. Good dental habits like using mouthwash regularly and gargling also help in keeping your breath fresh.

Avoid food and beverages that can cause bad breath. Avoid sticky, sugary foods.

In case the above measures are not helpful, consulting your dentist or a ENT doctor should be very helpful.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Dental Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.