Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Bacterial Disorders Forum

Bacterial infection or STD/yeast infection ?

Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
User Profile
About a month ago me and my fiance had unprotected anal sex and then switched to vaginal which we soon realized was a huge mistake. There are no signs of bumps or any sign of a rash but a couple weeks ago I began to feel horrible itching in my vagina. At first, I went to the doctor thinking maybe it was a yeast infection. I have never had one before as I was a virgin and this is my first partner. I had a pap smear and everything looked normal. I was given a pill to take that would get rid of the yeast. A day later I felt back to normal. Then, only a week after that, the itching came back worse than ever and the only relief was to put a clean, dry napkin or paper towel in the lining of my panties as a burning, clear discharge came out. I went to the doctor yet again and he took a swab from my vagina for testing. He prescribed another yeast pill as well as bacterial pills in case it was a bacterial infection. The nurses never called back with the results and I felt much better so I didn't bother calling in to find out. Another mistake. Now, I feel fine but my partner told me that last night after intercourse he felt itching and burning in the head of his penis. What do I have? Is this a result of our unprotected anal sex? Is it a stubborn yeast infection that won't go away? I'm getting very worried and I've already been to the doctor twice. I'm not sure what I should do, please if you have advice please give it!
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 12th, 2009
This sounds more like a bacterial infection as a result of you and your partner having anal sex. The most likely culprit is E. coli which is found in the digestive tract of all humans. Most likely he became infected when he inserted his penis into your anus and then he infected you when he inserted his penis in your vagina.

You may have been cure with the round of antibiotics that you have taken but your partner most likely now is infected. He should see his PCP, get tested and treated. While he waits to see the doctor, you can always go to the drugstore and get an over the counter urine dipstick test for nitrites (bacteria). These tests are very sensitive for gram-negative bacteria such as E. coli; they are also inexpensive and will confirm a UTI in a matter of minutes.

Good luck.
Did you find this post helpful?