User Profile
I was bitten by a tick on my calf for I think no more than 24 hours duration. Site of bite is painful upon removal (~24 hours from original bite) and day after removal (48 hours from bite). Bright red sharp circle around bite site, approx. 1-1.5cm in diameter, that increased in redness 48 hours after bite. Red circle encompasses a small purplish bruise at bite site. Feels similar to a painful bruise, but can feel the pain without applying any pressure and the pain sometimes radiates briefly from bite site. Is it possible I have a tick-transmitted bacterial infection? I can submit a photo of the bite site if necessary.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2018
Bacterial Disorders Answer A63532
Welcome to e health forum.

With your history of tick bite and the recent development of a red rash at the site of the bite, the possibility of the rash being due to Lyme disease needs to be ruled out.

FYI Only 2% of tick bites result in Lyme disease. Although only a small number of tick bites lead to Lyme disease: the longer the tick remains attached to your skin, the greater your risk of getting the disease.

A Lyme rash occurs at the site of the tick bite in 80% of people who have early Lyme disease.

The rash due to lyme disease appears like a red, round or oval rash which enlarges in size over days or weeks.

It would be recommended that you consult your doctor for proper medical evaluation and advice. A few blood tests will help to rule out lyme disease.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bacterial Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.