Hi

Just want to tell anyone new to Epipens the importance to have a spare one. I am highly allergic to bees and had to use my pen last year, I then had to get another one refilled at the pharmacy only to find out my pharmacy didn't have my strength in stock. Luckily I didn't need it again.
I didn't even think to go to another pharmacy.

If you were lucky enough not to have to use the Epipen check the expiration dates also. I had one that expired so I had to get rid of the medication and dispose of the pen.

To get rid of an expired pen either ask your doctor if they can dispose of it in the used needle boxes they have or call the pharmacy to find out if they know where you can dispose of it.

I was told to get rid of the medication in an expired pen you can use a small potato or an apple by pressing the pen against it as you would on yourself.

Thanks for letting me share this information.. Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 28th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Thanks for this information! Smile I hope I never have to deal with this with my children or anyone else.
|

replied April 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Your Welcome

Another thing in the event you do need to use your Epipen and it's the first call your doctor, sometimes they want you to come in, if it's after hours you can check with the ER. I was told the first time I had to use to take Benadyrl also to counter act the allergy.
Check with your doctor before hand to see what he/she wants you to do in the event you need to use it.

mominashoe

I hope you never have to use one of these either. The weird thing is I developed severe allergies later in life..I blame it hormonal changes..LOL
|

User Profile
replied April 28th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Haha, hormones are probably the root of most of our problems! I hope I never get that way either...I thought that maybe I would never be allergic like that, but since you say you've developed it, I guess I'm not entirely safe am I? Razz
|

replied April 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hormones are the root of all evil...LOL
Do you have allergies?
|

User Profile
replied April 28th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Yes I do...to a lot of things that I never used to before I started having kids and also ones that have gotten worse as I've gotten older. I break out in hives from stress, heat, cold, exercise, hormonal changes....then I've got seasonal allergies and some food allergies. I hate hormones!! But I wouldn't have my sweet cute babies without them, so..."can't live with them, can't live without them" lol.
|
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....