Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

back surgery and physical exam

Just opinion, do you think a major rail company would hire someone to be a track supervisor knowing that you just had lumbar back surgery 6 months ago? And carpal tunnel surgery 1 month ago?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 12th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Hello Schoc,

It is not what you or I "think" they may think. but rather how positive you can "present" yourself that matters. In other words, do not make an issue of your surgeries, but rather how you will be able to be a positive "force" with their company. How you are the best person and best qualifiied to be the person they are looking for.

I wish you the best.

RichT
|

replied May 12th, 2008
Experienced User
I think it probably depends on how the injuries happened. If they work related, and you received worker's comp, then yeah, it may affect them hiring you. Also, if they have medical insurance benefits, you may not be covered due to pre-existing conditions should you have back problems again. Good luck - hopefully, these circumstances will not be an issue. Your past employment is the real issue here. If they get an excellent referral from your past employer, your injuries will not keep them from employing you.
|

replied May 12th, 2008
opinion
hello again,

I greatly appreciate the replies. My back surgery was from playing "push ball" in the military. I was recently honorably discharged from the military, not medically. So my injury was playing sports. I do appreciate Rich T's reply of how I present myself. I am actually very well built (especially cut in the abs) for a 43 y.o. I swim,bike, run, and play basketball regularly like before the injury. Both surgerys happened on Active Duty and I am actually covered by the government/VA for these injuries if that makes any difference. I will be very positive when the time comes for a physical. Thanx again!
|

replied May 12th, 2008
Experienced User
I do not think you will have any problem when it comes to pursuing a job! A HUGE thanks for serving our country!
|

replied May 13th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Hello Schoc,

Thanks for the added info. Without a doubt you have a very positive attitude and your abs must turn a few heads.. Wink

Let us know how your interviews go.

RichT
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...