Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

back pain, stiffness, movement

Would like a bit of advice....my gran and auntie has ankylosing spondylitis and i am developing the same symptoms as them but a previous doctor refused to test me as she says im too young, which i feel is rubbish as my auntie was tested and diagnosed when she was my age (22). My question is can ankylosing spondylitis skip a generation? If it can then why will my ex gp really not test/diagnose me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 26th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
ankylosing spondylitis can strike anyone it doesnt need to skip a generation. In australia they are using somthing called tnf blockers to treat this disorder they are very effective but they are serious drugs that effect the immune system I am not sure if these drugs are being used in other countries for AKS if they arent i dont know why the motives of medical proffessionals can be hard to understand at times. There is no diffinitive test for AKS it can only be diagnosed for sure when the disorder becomes advanced and its signs can be seen clearly on xray. There are blood tests that can indicate wether you are predisposed to the condition but they are not proof that you have AKS
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...