Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
User Profile
Hey, I'm a 17 year old with major back pain, right in the middle right side, and when I put my head down, the pain is more intense, when I put my head back, there's pain in the back part of my neck and upper back. I've been to physical therapy for 5 months, had multiple deep tissue massages, dry-needling, and nothing worked at all. I also had an MRI done, showing that nothing's wrong. But one doctor told me that it's a "muscular" issue but wasn't told any solution but to "live with it". This pain is unbearable and I don't know what type of doctor to see or what to even do. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2018
Back Pain Answer A64150
Hello and welcome to EHF,

I appreciate your concern,

Chronic pain on the right side of the middle back could be either originating from an issue with the muscles,bones or nerves in that area or it could be due to the disease of the right kidney,liver or gall bladder,as these are the mostly proximal organs to the area of the pain.

I think you should consult an experienced medical specialist,he will take your complete medical and personal history,do a thorough physical examination and might order some tests to find out the exact cause and origin of this pain.

Meanwhile you can use painkillers like ibuprofen or indomethacin along with local anesthetic ointments /gels.Multivitamins and a short course of corticosteroid might help as well.keep yourself hydrated at all times.Muscle relaxants can also be asked for,if it's a muscle cramp.

I hope this is helpful,

Wishing you the best of health.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.