Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Back Pain and a Bulging Disc

User Profile
Hi

I'm in extreme pain and the treatment i'm currently receiving just isn't working, my muscoskeletal doctor tells me it's muscles and tendons as you can't touch my lower back because of tenderness and pain. I'm also having tingling and pain just inisde my rectum which is worse if i do things, i can't sit for more than a couple of minutes due to pain in my bottom and cheeks. i have been diagnosed with a bulging disc in L5/S1 which is slightly pressing on the thecal sac.

The pain is unbelievable and the smallest thing will trigger it off and start the aching swelling and tingling either inside my bottom or across my lower back.

The cortisone injections and accupunture just aren't working and my quality of life is getting worse as even sitting and standing and walking are nearing impossible

Any help or adivce would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks and warm wishes

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2008
Back Pain Answer A3791
Lower back pain, especially with a bulging disc present, can be caused by two different conditions. The pain can originate either from the nerves (neuralgia) or from the muscles (myalgia). Based on the symptoms you describe (lower back pain, tenderness to the touch, tingling, difficulty sitting, standing and walking), you may be experiencing both conditions. Cortisone treatments are used to decrease the swelling of the disc and indirectly relieve the pressure put on the nerve structures. You may request an MRI of the lumbar-sacral spine to determine if a spine injury or any degenerative changes have occurred that might be contributing to the nerve pain. If your pain is not being managed through the use of pain medication, physical therapy or acupuncture, you may consider surgical removal of the injured disc.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.