Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Back pain from possible esophageal issues

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
hi i have ongoing middle back pain and short of breath im concerned as its not getting any better and cant see my gp for another week any suggestionsthanks

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2010
General Q and A Answer A11847

The symptoms you reported (pain in middle of back and shortness of breath) might be related to problems with the esophagus.

The quality of the pain might have been helpful. For example, in inflammation of the lower esophagus the pain is usually described as burning and might be provoked when eating, especially when having large meals. The cause for the inflammation of the esophagus (esophagitis) might differ from hiatal hernia and esophageal diverticulosis to gastroesophageal reflux disease. The pain you feel might leave you short of breath.

Middle back pain might also be found in heart problems. But usually there is stabbing chest pain, too. So if you feel stabbing chest pain you are advised to see a doctor as soon as possible.

You might want to visit a specialist for the upper gastrointestinal tract for a physical examination. An x-ray of the esophagus or other visualizing methods such as gastroscopy (visualization of the esophagua and the stomach with a fiber-optic camera inserted through the mouth) might be recommended. The treatment would depend on the diagnosed condition.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.