User Profile
About eight to nine weeks ago I fell and hit my left knee. About a week after that I started to have pain in my left leg stemming from behind my knee. After four weeks of this pain which at this point had also spread to mid way down my calf and all the way up to my butt I went to my PCP. They did an ultrasound and an Xray of my left knee and lower leg. Both showed no problems. I was sent to a neurologist. He did an EMG and a nerve cunduction test. Both of these showed no nerve or muscle damage. I then had an MRI of my left knee and lower leg taken. The results said I had some scar tissue in my knee, so I was sent to an ortho. At this point about seven weeks after my pain had initially started my lower back had begun to hurt. I can't stand up straight it causes pain to shoot down my leg. I've missed a week of work due to the pain being so bad which didn't do much good. My job requires me standing alot and some moderate lifting. At first after a few hours of working the pain in my leg wo

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2009
Back Pain Answer A6213
Your question involves the back pain you are now experiencing after your initial knee pain.

Based on the symptoms you described, with the pain shooting down your leg when you try to stand upright, along with the fall you took, you may have subluxation in your sacro-iliac joint. A disc bulge is possible, but less likely due to your age.

Visiting a good local chiropractor or physical therapist to have your pelvic alignment checked would be helpful.

Sam Visnic
www.endyourbackpainnow.com/blog

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.