I wont go into the 35 years of back pain, but I just had an mri done yesterday, when I couldn't get out of bed, nor walk nor stand. Had pulled back out three days prior but could move slightly with severe pain til yesterday. After they did the MRI and ct, they immediately contacted a neurosurgeon and set me up an appointment for next week, but they didnt explain anything to me in terms that I can understand. I was given a cd to give to the surgeon, that has my images on it, and also a very abbreviated voice file. These words are not spelled correctly but if anyone could help me figure out this jargon I will gladly dance at ur next wedding provided I get out of this blasted wheelchair.

multi level degenerative changes

prominent disc ostefied at L5 S1 with a retro astesis at that level this extends into the neural peraminter narrowing bilaterally right greater than left

pericentral to right focus is likely a promient ostephite , which contacts the right s1 root after its exited the fecal sack.

at other levels .. mild canal narrowing at L 1, 2, ....... associated at multiple degenerative levels here including t 11 12.... L3 4

additionally she has a chronic wedged deformity at L1

That is a very abbreviated synopsis... can ANYONE explain this to me ? im scared
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 11th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Hello Prinny,

Welcome to this forum.

Sorry to read about the very severe back pain you have. Thank goodness you had the MRIs and CT scans done. Be very thankful that they immediately contacted a neurosurgeon for you and that you will see the doctor next week.

Pinny, I know you are anxious about your situation. That is to be expected. In my opinion it is best to wait until the neurosurgeon has had time to look at the MRIs and CT scans. Reports are one thing, but a doctor really needs to look at the images to determine in his/her mind what is the situation with your back.

I am just another "spiney" with so many here. I frankly don't believe we should try to interpret the report. That is for a medical professional to do.

When you do see the neurosurgeon and he says something that is not clear to you do ask questions.

I wish you the very best.

Take care, and do let us know how things go for you.

RichT
|

User Profile
replied May 11th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
RichT is correct, Prinny. Only a professional can dteremine what the extent of your damage is after he/she looks at your films.

I do recognize a lot of the terms and you probably already know what the multi-level degenerative changes mean. I have degenerative disk disease, which means with age, I have lost much of the fluidity and sponginess in the disks. The disks harden from age, sitting and lifting and do not cushion your vertebra as well.

I won't take a stab at any other terms, but definitely ask questions. Make a list to make the doctor explain every term and see if he/she agrees with the referring doctor.
|

replied May 11th, 2008
Thanks Guys.. yeah, I kinda figured I'd have to wait, but some of the terms I did know, some I found and some Im still iffy on. Sigh, I know yall know the frustration.
Thanks again , ur words help more than you know. As you know, everyone can say all they want they understand.. but no one really has a clue until they've been there. Too many years of hearing, o just suck it up, toughen up, yadda yadda, then u hear yeah u need fixing, but ur not bad off enough ( in THEIR opinion) to do surgery... You just get to the point of dejection. I honestly hope he tells me I really need surgery like right now. Im 35 years into this pain.... Im only 41 now.

Kat
aka
Prinny
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...