Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

baby with hiccups

my 4 week old baby girl gets hiccups twice a day i wind her for about an hour but the minute i put her down she gets them i had to change her food to aptamil comfort when she was 2 weeks old because she was very windy and screamed at night like she was in pain but big difference since i changed seems more settled but still mostly sleeping in my arms is she getting the hiccups because shes not been winded correctly
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 12th, 2010
Community Volunteer
It is highly unlikely that she is getting hiccups from not being burped properly, however you could try to burp her once every 5 minutes during her feedings and see if that helps.
Some babies get chronic hiccups for no apparent reason, although it could be contributed to immaturity in digestive and/or respiratory systems or prematurity. Remember, all babies are born with immature organs, even full term babies. This is not to say that their organs are premature, as in the case of preterm babies, just that they are immature. A newborn's eyes won't focus until about three to four months of age, and that is due to immaturity of the eye muscle. A newborn is born with delicate and sensitive organ systems and it may take awhile for each system to make the transition from a womb environment to our environment.

However, since this seems to be a chronic thing in your child, it would not hurt to bring it up to the pediatrician since, rarely, hiccups can be due to more serious conditions, such as intestinal blockage, seizure disorders, etc. I am in no way suggesting your baby has these conditions, but it never hurts to get things like this checked, just in case. Hope I have helped!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....