Yesterday we took our 6.5 week old baby to a family street festival. There was a band playing at a stage nearby and throughout the day the noise got louder. In the end we were worried it was too loud and we moved far away from the stage. However, the baby was exposed to quite loud music probably for a period of about 4 hours. The music was loud enough that it was not easy to have a conversation over the table that we were sitting at (you had to shout to be heard), but not loud enough to leave me with ringing ears afterwards. At the end the bass was loud enough that you could feel the vibrations in your chest. The baby didn't appear to be in any discomfort (he was sleeping etc.). There was drums, saxaphone, trumpets playing at the time that we decided to leave, which I thought were particularly loud. The baby was sitting in his basinet (crib) pram for about 95% of the time, which we also HOPE absorbed some of the noise.

Since then I have been reading about baby's hearing and loud noises and feel terrible. We would NEVER put him in that position again, but now we're worried about possible damage.

My questions are -

-Should we be concerned about the noise levels? Does anyone know how likely it is that there will be permanent damage? I have read that anything over 80 decibels can cause damage to their ears and I suspect it was easily over this, if we had difficulties talking over the music

- What action would you recommend e.g. a hearing test?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2016
It is unlikely that your child's hearing would be affected that badly.

If the child is playing normally and is responding to your voice (turning his head towards the sound), then it is likely that his hearing is normal.

If you have any doubts, consult a pediatrician or a ENT doctor who can examine the child and give you a proper advice.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.