Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

baby's birthmark develops yellow pustules?

My son, now five months old, was born with a pinkish bald spot on his head. It develops yellow pustules (gross, I know) from time to time, and the pores get clogged like blackheads. Two doctors he has seen at his well visits have said they aren't sure what it is, but that it will probably go away. It has stayed the same shape, and appears to be growing with his head as he gets bigger. Any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2015
Welcome to e health forum.

It is not possible to ascertain the condition that your son has, without a complete medical history and a proper physical examination.

But the description provided point to Epidermal Nevi.

An epidermal nevus is an abnormal, noncancerous (benign) patch of skin caused by an overgrowth of skin cells. Epidermal nevi are typically seen at birth or develop in early childhood. They can be flat, tan patches of skin or raised, velvety patches.

Infection of the hair follicles or the sebaceous glands in the skin, forms follicles, which appear as yellow pustules.

It would be recommended that you seek a opinion with a Pediatric Dermatologist who can provide proper medical opinion.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Pediatrics
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.