Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Postpartum and Postnatal Forum

baby in Oct. was breastfeeding, have not gotten my period

I had a baby on October 25,2012. I still have not gotten my period. Def not ready to have another one quiet yet. I was breastfeeding till maybe a month ago. Any ideas if this is normal besides being prego?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 9th, 2012
Extremely eHealthy
You mean october 2011?

------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------
What’s a normal period during breastfeeding

There is no normal (menstruation during breastfeeding can be very unpredictable)

- Most moms experience some postpartum bleeding after birth, but this is not your period.

- Bottle feeding moms will usually start their periods within a month or two of birth.

- Breastfeeding moms may go without their period for weeks, months and even years while breastfeeding.

- Some moms may have no period while breastfeeding and only start having periods again after they have weaned completely.

- A mom may have irregular periods while breastfeeding and may skip some months… a missed period while breastfeeding is normal.

- Moms may have premenstrual symptoms without any bleeding…this can be a sign that your period will be returning soon…it's best to start taking precautions if you don’t want to fall pregnant.

Other changes with menstruation while breastfeeding

- Moms may find that their milk supply drops a little just before a period starts. This is just because of some hormonal fluctuations.

- Some extra nipple tenderness is very common in breastfeeding moms during a period and this is also due to hormonal changes.

- Some babies may drink more or less during a period as milk might taste a little different.
- Mom may experience some uterine cramping with a period during breastfeeding

------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------

Breastfeeding and menstruation ~ Getting pregnant while breastfeeding

“Can you get pregnant while breastfeeding when your period returns?”

Yes, you should consider yourself fertile once your period has returned. It is also possible to become pregnant before your period returns, but this is a very rare occurrence.
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2019
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i understand your concern.Almost all mothers who are fully breastfeeding their babies are free of menstrual periods for 3 - 6 months or longer. This is due to harmonal changes and harmones such as estrogens etc are low in lactating mothers with high prolactin and oxytocin and hence keep you away from pregnancy. But exceptions are there. Be careful.

Take care
|
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Postpartum and Postnatal , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.