User Profile
I am hoping I can get some opinions on what is happening with my little girl...She is very healthy and she is growing fine, gaining weight etc. She will be 3 months next week. The only issue is that she tends to choke a lot on her milk. This has been happening since she was born. I am feeding her with expressed breast milk during day and anti reflux formula at night. She starts drinking and after few sucks she starts coughing and gasping for air. I checked all the nipples of the bottles to be the slowest ones and even with the slowest nipple, she still does this. I have to let her suck only for 6-10 times and take the bottle out.The fact is that when she drinks the anti reflux formula ( which is ticker so babies will not reflux it so easily ) she does not choke. She can drink the complete bottle and I do not have to take it out from her mouth. Do you think this is a problem she can outgrow ? what can be the cause ?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 23rd, 2010
Kids Health and Pediatrics Answer A10798

Given the data you provided (healthy girl growing fine, getting weight, choking when feeding with expressed milk during day, but not choking when feeding with thicker anti-reflux formula over night), you might have a transitory problem.

The fact that the baby is gaining weight indicates that there is no medical condition related to the choking. The baby is anatomically completely healthy (no problem with the palate or the esophagus or any of the gastric (stomach) sphincters. The exact cause for baby choking when fed with expressed milk during the day cannot be determined exactly based solely on the data you provided. However, the fact that there is no choking when fed with anti-reflux formula indicates that something is done different. Perhaps you hold the baby in a different position. When the baby is choking elevating his head or upper part of the body might be helpful.

You might want to take the baby to a pediatrician for a physical examination and to show how the feeding is done. You might want to take the nipples and the bottles for inspection, as well.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.