Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Complications during Pregnancy Forum

Baby Boy Kidneys Englared please help.

I am due August 11th, My baby boy kidneys were enlarged sense 18 weeks, so I was going to the doctor every 4 weeks for a ultrasound to check his kidneys, then at 24 weeks, my water was high so I was going every two weeks for a ultrasound. At 26 weeks they told me my son kidneys got BIGGER, and now are hoping they will fix themselves. I had the SAME kidney problem with my daughter, expect hers NEVER got bigger they got fixed themselves before birth, but my unborn sons got bigger in just two weeks. Have this happen to anyone else? What was the outcome of this? Do they induce early for it?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2013
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

In more than half of the children who are prenatally diagnosed with hydronephrosis 9kidney enlargement), the condition resolves itself and the cause is never known. In very rare cases, the condition will impair the flow of fetal urine to the point that there will be too little amniotic fluid (oligohydramnios). In that case, surgery may be required to drain the urine from your baby’s bladder and allow it to flow into the amniotic sac.

You need to get regular ultrasounds done to check the amniotic fluid status.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Complications during Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.