Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Baby arches back a lot

My baby is 3 months old and when ever he gets picked up he arches his back. I was told that it is a symptom of a disease.But the person forgot the name. Should I be worried? Also his head is still unsteady when not supported it wobbles.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 9th, 2008
ive never heard anything about a disease.... but my son Aiden is 2 months and he arches his back alot when you pick him up... just stretching.... especially when he's sleepy
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Is he upset when he's picked up, look like he's having a convulsion or in pain? If he isn't there isn't anything to worry about.

All my babies have arched their backs and stretched when I pick them up, especially if they've been in a car set or asleep. Babies heads will also not be completely steady at 3 months.

Here is a link and info for three month old babies (with the fact in mind that all babies develop at their own rate, this is just the average)

http://library.med.utah.edu/pedineurologic exam/html/03month.html

Motor - Head and Trunk Control
When pulled to a sitting position, a baby this age should be able to have only slight head lag and, when sitting, the head should be upright but there may still be some wobbling of the head. The back is still rounded, so the baby slumps forward.

If you feel that there is a problem, it never hurts to have him checked by your pediatrician.
|
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....