Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

Babies and their feeding

User Profile
My Child is 7 weeks old and has a cold. She has been given paracetamol by the doctor I have only give her the 2.5 mls once as she does not seem to have a temperture. Am also giving her Saline drops as she is very stuffy. The problem is she fed on and off yesterday only taking half of her bottles, her last feed was at 10.30pm and she took 3 ounces, she then went to sleep and i actually had to wake her at 10am this morning to give ger a bottle which she took 5 ounces from. she is now asleep again. should i be worried? that is roughly 12 hrs sleep through the night with no feeds?

Did you find this post helpful?
|
Users who thank DoctorQuestion for this post: nailaboop 

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2008
Newborn Babies Answer A3986
According to the new guidelines for breastfeeding and feeding with formula, you should feed your baby whenever it asks for food(“on demand”). In the first few weeks, baby asks for feeding more frequently but later that frequency decreases and baby sleeps longer during the night. Babies on formula usually request feeding every 2-4 hours. Later babies start to sleep more during the night without feeding (up to 8 hours).
If you need to wake up your baby for feeding too often, you should call its pediatrician.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Newborn Babies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.