Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

awoke to two lumps at the back of my neck?

User Profile
I recently, 2 months ago ran a high fever the source of which wasn't found and I have had nothing like it in memeory. I had no flu symptoms or anything like that. I had it for over a week and was hospitalised. My neutrophils were running higher but everything else was pretty normal and I haven't HIV or any STD or anything like that - I had more than enough tests to be reassured. Since then I have experienced night sweats, which I put down to peri-menopause, I am 38. This morning I awaoke to two lumps at the back of my neck, one more painful than the other. Now I am very worried. Obviously I will be seeking a doctor but I am away on business right now. What can it be?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2011
Cancers Answer A21089
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
Behind the jaw bone and under the earlobe there are many structures such as skin, bone, nerves, lymph nodes, the parotid salivary gland, etc. A lump can develop from any of those structures, and could be of benign or malignant nature. The most common cause of lumps or swollen lymph nodes in the neck are infections. But, when an adult presents a lateral neck mass, in the absence of obvious signs of infection, it is deemed to be cancer until proved otherwise (75% of lateral neck masses in adults over 40 years are malignant). However, no symptom or complex of symptoms is strongly correlated with cancer. This is just to aware you about the possibilities.
You must consult your doctor for the nature of lump and start proper treatment. For the time being, you can take any antipyretic to relieve the pain and fever if any.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.