Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

aware that gonorrhea can spread to the eyes.

User Profile
I was diagnosed with gonorrhea 2 weeks ago and given the proper antibiotics to take care of it. I went to the doctors yesterday and took a urine test and the test came up as negative. That same day, I noticed my left eye was very irritated and became itchy. I am aware that gonorrhea can spread to the eyes. I can't tell if my eyes are getting crusty because I am tearing up more or due to the bacteria.

My eye is irritated and red, but it is bearable. It could be due to my astigmatism in my left eye and putting the incorrect contact for my right eye in my left.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2014
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Answer A48458
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

Well, if you did not wear the right contact lenses then yes, even that can make your eyes red and watery. Certain antibiotics can also cause red watery eyes as a side effect. It could also be an eye infection unrelated to gonorrhea. However, since you had gonorrhea, please show this to your doctor. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexually Transmitted Diseases , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.