Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

avoiding treatment of kidney stones

Hello,

I've had a kidney stone for about three months, it hasn't been that bothersome except on one day. I've been seeing this urologist and all he does is order x-rays tell me I still have the stone and tells me to come back in a week or so for another x-ray reading.

I have a feeling he's yanking me around for the money ($50 co-pay per visit!). He prescribed Flomax, which seems to help but it has many side effects including sexual ones and I don't like that, plus, it's $85 a bottle.

Anyway, just looking for any advice as to whether this should have already been treated of if it is customary not to be invasive and just let it pass?

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Are you experiencing any decrease in urine?
Has your doctor said what size the stone is?

Some doctors try to ride it out if the stone is not causing any problems but saying that the stone may get bigger just sitting there also.

Personally I like to get them out as soon as they start bothering me. I've had so many stones I couldn't even give you a number, many I passed on my own, many others I had removed.

If you are not comfortable you should seek to another urologist or sit down and talk to this one ask him why he's not doing anything to get the stone out.

I understand the financial part of it all, it does get very expensive when you have to keep going back so many times.
Did he tell you to strain your urine in the event you do pass the stone and to give to him so he can get analyzed? this will tell you what kind of stone(s) you are making.

Keep us posted..Good luck..Smile
|

replied May 27th, 2008
Is it customary for DR's to avoid treatment of Kidney stones?
Thanks for your reply!

No decrease in urine, it's been normal. Dr. hasn't said what size the stone is, but it looks very small.

He didn't tell me to strain the urine.

I have been reading about herbal remedies that will break up the stone and possibly prevent them in future, I might go that route.
|

replied May 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
you can try lemonade. I hear it helps in breaking up stones, but it all depends on what type of stone you have.
If you can get to your local home improvement store or department store pick up a paint strainer, they come in packages of 2 or 3. They work great for straining the urine when looking for a stone.

I'm surprised your doctor didn't give you a "hat and strainer" to pee into. Some doctors don't think about this.
I've had so many stone that I have hats, strainers (on standby) and sterile urine cups for when I need to give them my stones. Once they tell you what type you are making they can help you in trying to lessen the amount you will make. I have changed my diet and was put on medication but I still make stones, I've had a few different types of stones. The most common is calcium oxalate, which is not from too much calcium. Years ago the doctors use to think stones were from too much calcium and told patients to avoid calcium now they know sodium is big culprit along with sodas, chocolate, teas, there's a list of things to avoid or limit.

Keep us posted...feel free to pm if you like also.
|

replied May 27th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
welcome to e-health.
Just wanted to wish you luck!
|
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...