User Profile
10 years ago I had an autologous BMT and have been in remission ever since. Apart from a lower platelet count (around 150), I have had NORMAL counts ever since.

Until January.
On 1/22/10 my WBC came back 2.8 (I had gone to my pcp complaining of fatigue and bone pain in my legs... & as someone who a decade ago used neupogen to increase my wbc, I'm aware of what bone pain feels like). Polys, Absolute = 1.3 x10E3/UL (49%). Platelets 128. Everything else pretty normal (ie. Hemoglobin 12.1)

Retested 4/22/10, WBC up to 3.8, RBC 3.78, Platelets 124, Polys, Absolute 2.1 (56%). (Hemoglobin 11.8)

Retested 5/17/10, WBC dropped to 2.5, RBC 3.57, Platelets 124, Hemoglobin 11.4, Hematocrit 33.8, Polys, Absolute 1.3 (53%).

I realize the ANC is not low, but also, bone pain + fatigue + lowering WBC, Hemoglobin, etc... Am I missing something? My dr. says he's not worried & I've been given no instructions. Where do I look from here? I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2010
Lymphoma Answer A12434
You did not indicate what type of lymphoma (or leukemia) you had, or what other therapy you might have received, and so it is difficult for me to try and answer your question.

Commonly used treatments for lymphoma are not infrequently associated with long-term or delayed leukopenia (low white blood cell count), including chemotherapy and the drug Rituximab.

Hopefully, given your decade-long remission from lymphoma, these changes in your CBC are not a cause for undue worry. However, you should consult with your Oncologist about your concerns.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.