My 11-year-old son went through a 4 1/2 hour surgery on his teeth. August will be the 3rd anniversary of this trauma, which served as a wake up call for him and for us. My son has severe autism, which causes everday things to become monumental battles. When he was younger, my husband and I tried to brush his teeth and he would phyically fight us...bite us, scratch us, and bloody us up. He is a very strong kid. We tried many different techniques, but only managed to brush his teeth lightly with a fingerbrush and baby toothpaste.
We found (or God brought us) an Angel Dentist who worked hard to restore his baby teeth...two caps, a few fillings...and only two extractions of baby teeth. She put sealant on his teeth. My son now visits the Angel Dentist every 3 months. For the past 3 years, he has been very cooperative about brushing his teeth. He'll let us brush them for an hour if we want and we use a WaterPik. I was hoping for a full turnaround, but he has some damage from previous grinding and A LOT of tartar buildup despite constant cleanings. Every time I see his smile, I am wracked with guilt and I worry about what if we missed a spot brushing and the cavities invade!
I'm so scared that his problems are not over even though he's being so good.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 23rd, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...