Medical Questions > Mental Health > Autism Forum

Autism with my ADHD?

Am I more prone to having autism if I've had severe ADHD since age 7? I'm struggling profusely with ADHD and tolerating medicines. I've felt nauseated, sleepless, loss of appetite, and even manic at times.

I sometimes repeat words to myself that have no purpose/meanings and I have intense/debilitating feelings of complete fear and helplessness in ever becoming social.

I cried after saying hello to an old friend of mine after we spoke for only 1 minute.

I don't know what's going on, but I also have been working with my psychiatrist on OCD as I have been doing my laundry over and over again and washing my hands.

There's so many symptoms and things going on, where do I even begin? Do I have bipolar maybe or something? I don't have mood swings though, just seasonal depression.

I've always felt these overwhelming ADHD+OCD symptoms with the social deficits throughout my entire 22 years of life. It has never improved totally, but maybe a little bit as I"m almost 23 with time.

Any insight is truly appreciated. Should I get tested for Autism or is this perhaps bipolar or borderline disorders?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 15th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Autism has many other pathologies with in its spectrum of diseases of which ADHD is association, however ADHD does not necessarily mean autism. You don't have any other feature of autism. Adhd and obsession both needs psychiatric support. Former needs stimulants and later needs sSSRIs.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Autism , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.