User Profile
I am the mother of a three year old little boy that suffers from autism. I have done research and read that some autistic children tend to suffer from gastro problems. My little boy has had very lose stools since he was just a few months old. I brought in a stool sample yesterday and his doctor told me it didn't look like the right consistency for his age and that she saw whole peas in it. My son doesn't eat peas, nor does he eat anything green so, I have no idea what it was. The next bowel movement he had was multi colored. It was orange and green and lose. What could be causing this?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2008
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A4262
Current medical status: My son was diagnosed with autism at the age of 3.
Current medical treatment: speech, occupational, and behavioral therapy

Atypical eating behavior occurs in about three-quarters of children with autism. Selectivity is the most common problem. Although eating rituals and food refusal also occur; this does not appear to result in malnutrition. Although certain children with autism also have gastrointestinal (GI) symptoms, there is a lack of published rigorous data to support the theory that autistic children have more or different GI symptoms than usual; studies report conflicting results, and the relationship between GI problems and autism is unclear.

If your son has chronic diarrhea he will need several diagnostic procedures (standard and specific blood tests, copro culture, colonoscopy, etc.) to exclude several possible conditions (intestinal infection, celiac disease, lactose intolerance, etc.).

You may want to consult a podiatrist about your son’s digestive problem.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.