Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

auditory illusions when waking

I had quite an experience about a week ago and i havent been able to sleep since. one morning when i was waking up, right after my alarm clock went off, i was still sort of asleep and heard this faint sound of a woman. i just brushed it off and i guess fell back asleep. what seemed like a few seconds later i heard this VERY vivid sound of a woman right outside my bedroom door -- sort of like moaning/crying and then it ended with what sounded like a sneeze. it sounded SO real that i shot out of bed and went to look (i live alone.) when i went to look nobody was there. ive been doing some research and found that these types of hallucinations can occur when falling asleep or waking up (when the body is in between wake and REM stages, maybe much like your body jerking when you're falling asleep). you can see things or hear noises such as voices or sounds. im guessing this was just some sort of hallucination. PLEASE i need help getting over this! it scared me so much i havent slept in a week!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi!
It's true that sleep-wakefulness transition state, can be associated with experiencing vivid and brief imaginary or hallucinations.
These kind of hallucinations are known as hypnopompic, and are considered normal phenomena.

Do you suffer from sleep deprivation?
Do you feel excessive daytime sleepiness?
|

replied September 19th, 2008
Experienced User
thanks for your reply!
No, I normally don't suffer from sleep deprivation or daytime sleepiness -- except since this episode happened! I have been so scared that now I have trouble sleeping! :-/
|

replied December 2nd, 2011
A few years ago I had a very bad scare with respect to a Heart condition. My reaction was one of extreme Anxiety & stress. Being an individual (I'm 60) who has been lucky enough never to have ever been ill in their life all this came as quite a shock. One of my reactions to this was very frightening "auditory illusions" and associated sleep paralysis whilst in bed. On several occasions I have distinctly heard different voices telling me what's wrong with me, insulting me, or just some inane suggestions. There was never anyone there, except my dog, who has never spoken a word to me! The sleep paralysis was on waking & I could not on occasion move my legs & sometimes arms for a good 10 mins. I spoke to a consultant about this & he told me that this is a reasonably common reaction. Scary but common! It has not happened again for a a few years & if it never happens again I won't be complaining.
So simple answer is to just relax & forget about & it will probably go away. Deep Breathing exercises will also help.
PS You actually do sleep even though you think you don't. Observe the passage of time & you will find that hours have passed without you realizing it You were asleep during this time.
Hope this helps
DesG
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!

Try not to think about it too much.
It happens to many people and is not an abnormal thing.
Practicing regular sleep pattern and relaxing techniques will be beneficial to get a good sleep again.

Best wishes!
Marija
|