Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

Atypical squamous cells and high risk HPV info and advice?

User Profile
Hi, I am a 31 year old woman with two young girls. Anyway, in January 2012 i went for a pap/hpv screening. a week or so later i get a phone call from my doctor's office telling me that i am ASCUS (Atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance). The nurse on the phone told me to come back in 4 to 6 months and repeat the test. I went back to repeat the test in early May and found out that not only does the test still say that i am ASCUS, but that i have high risk HPV. I have been an emotional wreck ever since. When i first heard the news i was so distraught that my fiancee (my girls dad) left work to be with me. I am still quite upset. Can some one please help me and give me some info and advice as all the info i get from everyone and everywhere is quite overwhelming. If this helps i have had pap smears done in the past, and with the exception of one inconclusive result,they came back normal. I am due for a colposcopy next month.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 17th, 2012
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A35050
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Go ahead with getting the colposcopy test done as advised by your gynecologist to look at the severity and the extent of the cervical changes. Early stages can be treated without further spread and progression. Do not delay in getting started with the treatment measures. The treatment options can be selected based on your colposcopy results (and biopsy results in indicated). Consider being in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water.
Take care.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Learn the basics about sexual health issues, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a sexual health disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for sexual health disorders....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.