Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

attacked by mobsters, who injured my finger

About 2 months ago I was attacked by mobsters, who wanted to take away my cell phone. While doing so, they injured my finger as follows:

I was holding my cell (4in by 1in in size) firmly in my right hand. My right thumb was pressing the cell phone box and was half-bent (i.e. my thumb looked like ^).

The mobster started twisting my right thumb (with axis being the thumb bone) until I felt acute pain and had to give up the phone.

What I worry about is that the thumb did not recover yet (2 months after the injury). I still feel pain when I am using it (for example, I just can't peel fruits when cooking and handwriting is painful). The painful area is the join of the right thumb which connects the thumb to the palm. I wouldn't call this pain acute though (but yea, I can't peel fruits!).

Apart from that, the thumb does not bend well now. It bends approximately 50% of what was normal before injury. The thumb appears normal (maybe only the join area is a little bigger than that of the left thumb).

15 days ago I went to a doctor. X-rays didn't show damage (bones are OK). The doctor wrote in the diagnosis: “finger injury, tenosynovitis” and assigned Novartis gel (Diclofenac Diethylamine Emulgel).

Is that a serious diagnosis? What would you say about prognosis? Do you think that I may have cartilage damage? Chondritis? Will I have a higher risk of injury in future? Will my finger heal completely and restore its previous functionality to 100%?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2015
Thank you for asking

I read your question and I understand your concern. These are just tendon and muscle pain. Radiographs are clear. Such injuries take time to resolve completely. A couple of months before the pain vanishes off completely.
Just apply the pain killer cream prescribed and see if it helps. Continue exercises of the hand and wait for the slow return of full range of mobility.

It's nothing serious and should not be a problem.

I hope it helps. Consult your doctor as our advice is just for education purposes only .

Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.