Hi all. I was addicted to OTC Nasal spray for around 25 years. In 2015 I started to get pain in my left temple so went for an MRI results were I had atrophied sinus's on my left hand side. It took me another year but I finally weaned myself off my nose spray. I did one nostril at a time and slowly diluted my spray and eventually off the stuff for good. Since then I have times where I struggle to breath. This is usually when I need to blow my nose. It really stresses me out. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Any info or help would be greatly appreciated TIA
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2017
From someone with chronic sinusitis myself, I can tell you I sympathize with you. I've used that stuff more than I should have, mind you not for 25 years, but more than the recommended dose. It caused me some pain and swelling and I stopped.

I struggle to breath most of the time just due to the sinusitis. I usually breath through my mouth overnight and periodically throughout the day. If the spray helped you to breath your reaction is expected and understandable. Though this cannot be used as an excuse to use it again! Before there was nasal sprays sinusitis still existed. I would recommend looking into something called a neti pot. It is a sinus rinse, that may alleviate some of your symptoms. There is no harm in doing it since it's just water and salt. It may just burn if you don't do the mixture right. Look up home remedies, some may be crazy, but some and most actually do help. I hope this relation to what I go through helps you. Take care.
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2019
(online)
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i understand your concern.First you need help to stop this addiction and then an otolaryngologist to help relieve your symptoms. Let your psychiatrist have you out of it and otolaryngologist decide how to proceed accordingly.

Take care
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.