I am a 51 year old male, 5'10" in good physical condition, and have been having bouts of Atrial Fib for 3 years now.
I have had an ultrasound done on my heart after the 1st episode, and my cardio doc told me it was ok. They put me on low dose aspirin, and told me I had low B12, so i have been on 1000mg b12 as well. I also foumnd out recently I have a low form of celiac disease, but nothing serious. I am on a gluten free diet, and eat a very balanced low carb meal plan. Lots of fruit, veggies, fish, and lean meat. NEVER no junk food. I do not drink or smoke. (how boring eh!)
I have had the 24 hr holter monitor done, as well as the king of hearts monitor.
Lately, i have been slipping in to atrial fibrillation just at the momemt of sleep.
You know, the moment when you just doze off from that conscious state to the unconscious state, well at that moment, I will be completely calm and relaxed and just as I doze off, my heart starts to fribillate and wakes me right back up.
I MUST stand and walk about in order to get out of A-fib. And if it won’t come out right away, within 1 to 2 minutes, then I know I am stuck in A-fib for 1 to 2 hours or so. I can usually get it to stop after about 1 minute. But if I just lay there and let it continue, I will slip into Atrial fib for about 1 to 2 hours, and must walk around calmly to get my heart back to normal sinus rhythm.

This happens all night now, every night just at the point of sleep. And I cannot get to sleep because of it. It has been quite a while since I have had a good nights sleep.
I do not have any palpitations during the day or any other time at all.
It usually takes me until 6am before I can finally slip into sleep without any atrial fib. I have tried eating, and NOT eating, I have check my glycose, but its normal. I'm at a loss, and have scheduled another appointment with my cardio doc, but the waiting list is long.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2010
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. In view of the recurrent atrial fibrillation which you are going through, you need to undergo further tests like electrophysiologic studies to look for the source of AF. Then, doing radiofrequency ablation of the source of AF should help in getting a permanent solution to the problem.

Please consult a cardiologist for the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.