Medical Questions > Nutrition > Atkins Diet Forum

Atkins Diet and Gout?

If red meats and high purines cause gout, how have so many people done Atkins or other low carb programs without getting gout? I just went to two different LC diet boards and there is very, very little mention of gout.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Curtis721
|

replied August 26th, 2008
how true
my husband has gout in his big toe and I asked him the same thing as he rarely eats red meat. I eat red meat and protein constantly.
|

replied October 22nd, 2008
The answer is actually very simple and obvious. Some people are more predisposed to get gout than other, the same case is with any other disease.

P.S. English is not my native tongue so I would appreciate if you would correct my mistakes so I can improve it.
|

replied October 19th, 2010
If I go on a low carb diet and use that as an excuse to increase red meat consumption I get a gout flare up. It's not really the diet, it's me being a glutton. I had this on South Beach and most recently on the Blood Type Diet. Type O recommends more animal protien. If I get greedy then I have gout problems. My sis (who is a nutritionist and professor of nutrition) says that the Atkins diet is notorious for causing gout, but the Atkins people will never admit that. I stayed away from Atkins because of that + my kidney problems.
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2012
Atkins and Gout
I've been on and off Atkins for a number of years - let's say twenty, and not too long ago I had a bout with gout. Not knowing what was wrong I self medicated with aspirin which did't do the job and so finally I had to see my doctor who ran blood tests and verified what he had initially diagnosed, upon seeing my toe, as gout. He put me on medication and after the second day I began to feel the results and I have been on it since. I will not take the chance and stop taking the medication for fear of a reoccurrence. I have lost 50 lbs in the past five months or so and need to loose anoter 6o lbs. Once this happens, I will go for another blood test and see how my uric acid levels are and make whatever adjustments necessary. My goal is to loose the weight first as I understand that being overweight is a factor in gout attacks. I too am somewhat of a glutton but at seventy I am not taking any chances. I am still on Atkins and the medicatioon seems to be keeping the uric acid in check.
parchilla
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....